Keillor: Radio station fired me without full investigationDecember 8, 2017 12:34am

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Garrison Keillor says Minnesota Public Radio was wrong to fire him last week without fully investigating what a senior executive has described as "multiple allegations" spanning an extended period against the former "A Prairie Home Companion" host.

Jon McTaggart, CEO of MPR's parent company American Public Media Group, addressed the issue at an employee meeting Wednesday. McTaggart didn't provide details of the allegations against the 75-year-old veteran broadcaster, saying only that he has shared them with lawyers and board members.

MPR News reporters refused to attend the meeting because its contents had been declared off the record, but they compiled a report based on interviews with colleagues who did.

In a statement Thursday morning, MPR insisted it conducted a proper review. The statement said two people formerly associated with the show alleged "multiple incidents of inappropriate behavior" by Keillor, though only one claimed the behavior was directed at her. The station said it hasn't made additional details public because the two want privacy.

"The allegations were carefully investigated before MPR made the decision to terminate contracts with Mr. Keillor," the statement said.

Keillor announced Nov. 30 that MPR had terminated his contracts after four decades of entertaining public radio listeners with tales of small-town characters. He said he was fired over "a story that I think is more interesting and more complicated than the version MPR heard." Keillor didn't provide details to the Associated Press but later told the Minneapolis Star Tribune that he had put his hand on a woman's bare back as he tried to console her.

Keillor retired as host of "A Prairie Home Companion" in 2016 but had continued to work for MPR on various projects.

McTaggart said Wednesday that no one else in the company knows the content of the "multiple allegations" against Keillor that span an extended period of time.

Keillor told the Associated Press in an email later Wednesday that he was not at the meeting hosted by McTaggart, so he couldn't provide details of what was said. But he expressed disappointment at the company's response to the allegations.

"I expect to deal with MPR soon to try to fix the enormous mistake they have made by not conducting a full and fair investigation," he said.

Keillor's attorney emailed a statement to AP early Thursday stressing that they know of allegations made by "one individual."

"We trust that Mr. McTaggart will set the record straight in this respect to avoid any misperceptions on that point," Eric Nilsson said in the statement.

Keillor said he wants the matter to be resolved quickly and "with it expects a full restoration of his reputation," Nilsson said.

Keillor, 75, told the Minneapolis Star Tribune he plans to go to Mayo Clinic next week for a pacemaker implant because he was having heart problems. ""Pretty routine but still serious," wrote Keillor, who underwent surgery to repair a heart valve at Mayo in 2001. "I'm fine."

"A Prairie Home Companion" continues with Keillor's hand-picked successor, mandolinist Chris Thile.

___

Follow Jeff Baenen on Twitter at https://twitter.com/jeffbaenen . Find more of his work at https://apnews.com/search/jeff%20baenen

___

Sign up for the AP's weekly newsletter showcasing our best reporting from the Midwest and Texas: http://apne.ws/2u1RMfv

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

CAA to form legal defense fund for harassment victimsThe powerful Hollywood talent agency CAA is canceling its annual Golden Globes party and planning to form a legal defense fund to assist workplace harassment victims across all industries
FILE- In this Sept. 22, 2017 file photo, Vice President Mike Pence talks with the McCurry family during a visit to The Pittt Barbecue & Grill in Anderson, Ind. Some men see a simple strategy for stemming sexual harassment at work: Just avoid one-on-one interactions with women. Pence has long said he doesn't have one-on-one meals with any woman except his wife, as part of prioritizing his marriage. (AP Photo/Darron Cummings, File)
Will misconduct scandals make men wary of women at work?
Prominent New York restaurateur accused of sexual misconductOne of the owners of several high-profile New York restaurants is taking a leave of absence after being accused of sexual misconduct by several women who worked for him
FILE - In this Wednesday, April 19, 2017, file photo, chef Mario Batali attends an awards event in New York. Batali stepped away from his restaurant empire and cooking show "The Chew" on Monday, Dec. 11, 2017, as he said that reports of sexual misconduct "match up" to his behavior. (Photo by Brent N. Clarke/Invision/AP, File)
Mario Batali steps down after sexual misconduct allegations
CBS' O'Donnell reports on sexual misconduct at Air ForceCBS' O'Donnell learns story of former colleague Charlie Rose's sexual misconduct while in midst of reporting investigation on women victimized at the U.S. Air Force Academy
New Yorker fires reporter Ryan Lizza for sexual misconductThe New Yorker magazine says it has cut ties with its well-known politics reporter Ryan Lizza for sexual misconduct
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices